History

 

The Babcock-Hovey Alumni Association is going to attempt to tell a story; a wonderful story of a 300 acre camp on Seneca Lake near Ovid, NY. The camp is 75 years in the making but the story is not yet complete. To tell the story, we need your help.  Please correct us if we are wrong, add your own memories, and enjoy the story as it unfolds. Since the human memory is imperfect and many of these events occurred before our life times, these memories may not be complete and perfect. We really hope that you will enjoy these post. We hope we can gather as many alumni as possible to celebrating the anniversary of our beloved camp.

Yours in Scouting,

Babcock-Hovey Alumni Association

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Property History of Camp Babcock-Hovey

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

1920’s-

Camp Tarion on Canandaigua Lake

Camp Tarion Memory Book

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

1930’s-

1936 – Camp Tarion holds its final Season

1937- Scouts sent to Camp Pioneer and other various experimental camps, Scouts would camp at what would become Camp Babcock-Hovey as FLC looks for a new summer camp home

1938 – Boy Scouts sign a lease for the Property, Troops camp at the future Camp Babcock-Hovey to develop camping areas for following year

1938 – Anonymous gift to purchase the camp announced, Main Road built and Dinning Hall started

1939 – The Camp Dedication Ceremony occurs. Camp opens with the Dinning Hall (Kitchen in South end Living Quarters North), an outdoor shower, the maintenance building, the present day Memorial Lodge, a wooden boat house, an “F” type dock, a high lookout chair, a flag pole and a totem pole located in the center of the loop near the current kitchen.. The first three campsites being Onondaga, Mohawk, and Cliff Dwellers (current day Cayuga). Staff were housed in Oneida (between Tuscarora and Eagle Lodge on South Side of Road 2012)

Other Items – Scouts write Thank You Letters to Babcock and Hovey

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

1940’s-

1941 – Legend of Bigfoot is first told

1941 – Scouts plant trees in memory of sailors and soldiers in WWII (link coming soon)

1944 – Wooden Anniversary and Babcock Chapel

1944 – Penn Yan Lodge dedicated

1944 – Boat House rebuilt with scrap buildings from Seneca Naval Station

1945 – First rifle range built in current location

1947 – 15,000 Gallon Water Tower installed (between Memorial Lodge and Mohawk campsite)

1948 – Hovey Lodge Built

1948 – Ganeodiyo Lodge is founded, Historical Vigil List, Historical Lodge chief and Lodge Advisor list

1949 – Tuscarora is added as the second Lean-to Site

Other items –

The 1940’s as told by Skip

Video from the 1940’s

Newsletter – The Red Cedar Whispers

Postcards from the 1940’s

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

1950’s

1951 – Ranger’s House built to house first Ranger Vern Brown and Ranger Shop expanded to current size

1951 – Mohican (2012 – Sunday night campfire) is added as a third Lean-to Site

1952 – Campfire area behind Eagle Lodge created and The Legend of the Dying Chieftain is first told

1953 – Cherokee Added as a Campsite

1954 – Cayuga become a Lean-to site after high winds took down some 4 man tents.

1955 – Land swap with state

1956 – Camp ONSEYAWA Starts, originally called “Rotarians’ Handicapped Children’s Camp”

1957 – Nature Lodge built and Camp Celebrates its 20th year

1958 – Algonquin added as a Campsite

1959 – CANUSA Mootoree starts, alternated between Babcock-Hovey and Canada

Other Items –

The rest of the 1950’s

Newsletter – The Heep Howl

Map from the 1950’s

1950’s – Oneida (Old) (Between Delaware and Cherokee), Lamoka, Baden Powell and Dan Beard added as Camp sites, winter cabins also added

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

1960’s-

1962 – Camp Celebrates its 25th Anniversary,

1962 – New Kitchen on Dinning Hall to the East and Addition in Acreage on the south side

1963 – Current Totem Pole erected,Camp Gateway Installed

1965 – Ranges House Addition – east section

1966 – Swimming pool added

1966 – Vern Brown Retires

1967 – Richard Becker Starts

1969 – Family Cabins (Winter Cabins 2012) Built during OA Ordeals

Other Items-

The rest of the 1960’s

Lean-to’s from Mohican (2012 – Sunday Night campfire area) moved to Cayuga

Conservation pond added Late 1960’s

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

1970’s-

1970 – First bridge over south ravine built by Army Corp of Engineers- only lasted 3 years

1971 – 50th Anniversary Finger Lakes Council

1972 – Last CANUSA Mootoree

1974 – Pedersen Lodge Dedicated,

1976 – Yolanda Schofield pens her first Pen and Ink drawings of camp

1973 – Lakefront Area moves from below Tuscarora to current location with previous dock, Boat house always stayed at its current location (2012)

1979 – Shenandoah Shelter built (Trading Post 2012)

Other Items-

The Rest of the 1970’s

Movie from the 1970’s (coming soon)

Cub Camping Area in use

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

1980’s-

1981 – Replacement of Main Pedestrian Bridge over South Ravine

1984 – Major renovations on Pool and North Shower House, with help of Camp ONSEYAWA

1984 – COPE begins at summer camp in Ravine

1986 – Rifle Range rebuilt with cement deck and a secure storage area

1986 – Diamond Jubilee of the Boy Scouts of America

1987 – Bridge Decking replaced on Main Pedestrian Bridge

1987 – Morrow-Blondell Health Lodge construction complete

1987 – Richard Becker retires as Camp Ranger, Conrad Wedding Starts as Camp Ranger

1987 – Golden Anniversary Hovey, Green Bar Bill in attendance

1987 – COPE Climbing Tower under construction

Other items –

1980 Staff Items

Camp Map from the 1980’s

Video from the Golden Anniversary

Newsletter – Hovey Herald

The Rest of the 1980’s

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

1990’s-

1990 – Nature/NAC Leanto Built

1991 – The Horton Building (South Shower House)

1992 – Penn Yan Lodge Porch Addition

1993 – BBQ Pit added at Kitchen

1993 – Lakefront dock washes away

1994 – Lakefront dock replaced

1994 – Sandy and Gramps pass away

1994 – COPE Pavilion started

1995 – Start of a major capital campaign to improve camp

1998/1999 – Dinning Hall Expansion and Kitchen Renovations

Other items –

Skit – Ode to Wednesday Nights Supper

Camp Map from the 1990’s (coming soon)

Archery Pavilion Built

Nature Lento Built

Pedersen Lodge Upgrade

Shotgun Area Moved

Major upgrade to water system and the change to vaulted Latrines

Reinstalling of Mohican and Oneida along Camporee Field

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

2000’s-

2000 – Baby Foxes or Pups invade the New Dinning Hall

2000 – Pool Renovated by a combined effort of Camp Onseyawa and Boy Scouts

2001 – Original Frisbee Golf Course Developed

2002 – Road signs added to Rt 96A

2003 – Chapel Renovation and Rededication

2006 – Main Camp Road is improved

2007 – Goodbye Hovey Lodge

2008 – Eagle Lodge Built

2008 – Yolanda Pens her last Pen and Ink Drawing of Camp

2009 – Seneca Waterways Council is formed as a merger of Finger Lakes Council and Otetiana Council.

Other Items –

Memorial Lodge Renovations

New Stage built by Ganeodiyo Lodge

Detailed Orienteering Map developed

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

2010’s-

2010 – Skip passes away

2010 – Pavilion added to Trading Post, Tuscarora, PF Field

2010 – Ganeodiyo Lodge and Tyoni Lodges were merged together to form Tschipey Achtu Lodge.

2010 – Camp Babcock-Hovey Alumni Association Founded

2010 – Pooler’s Pond added as a fishing pond – not full with water until 2012?

2011 – Pavilion added to Scoutcraft, Algonquin, Cayuga, Delaware

2011 – Frisbee Golf Course Moved to Current Location, Nature Trails are marked with metal signs and trail blazes, Nature Pavilion is fully enclosed,

2011 – South Shower House renovations

2011 – First CTC Camporee at Babcock-Hovey, CTC shed comes into Camp

2012 – Camp Celebrates its Diamond Jubilee

2012 – Pavilion added to Winter Cabins, OA provides funds for Dock at Pooler’s Pond,

2013 – Lakefront and Boathouse Renovations Started

2013 – Brother Chan Campfire Area Renovations

2013 – Poolers Pond Shelter and OA Shed

2013 – New Tractor and Mower

2013 – Dining Hall Facelift and Speaker System

2013 – Add Small Directional Road Signs to Camp in Willard

2013 – Added Counter to Penn Yan Lodge

2013 – Addition of Amphibian Pond

2014 – Trading Post upgrades and Museum Move, Memorial Lodge Upgrades

2014 – Addition of BB Gun and Archery Shooting Shelters

2014 – Addition of a Bouldering Wall to the C.O.P.E. Building

2014 – Spring Floods, loss of Lakefront Lean-to and Bridge Repair.

2014 – Mohawk Campsite brought back into service, Onondaga allowed to rest

2015 – Retirement of Conrad Wedding, Kyle Bunce Starts as our Fourth Ranger

2015 – Shop Upgrades

2015 – Ranger House Upgrades

2015 – Staff Area Upgrades

2016 – Coffee Mess Insulated, PF Expanded (Sand VolleyBall, GAGA PIT), Iceburg added at Lakefront, gravel added to road from South Shower house to Onieda

2017 – Ononondaga brought back into service, Algonquin allowed to rest

Other items –

Memorial Bench Program is started

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

The Future

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

UNDER CONSTRUCTION…. PLEASE EXCUSE OUR DUST……

BANG BANG, CLANK CLANK, ZZZZZEWWWWWW, MEDIC!!!!!!!!